Sonos, a leading sound experience company, debuts Sonos Radio HD, a new ad-free, HD streaming tier of its streaming service. Sonos Radio HD will feature more exclusive content directly in the Sonos app, now in lossless, CD-quality audio – the highest quality sound of any radio streaming service. Sonos’ radio fans can listen to Sonos Radio HD to explore genre stations, sleep sounds, and more artist content. Sonos Radio HD streams ad-free with skips and repeats, available on Sonos’ S2 app in the US and UK with additional countries to follow.
To start, Sonos collaborated with the world’s most beloved entertainer Dolly Parton to introduce Songteller Radio, a station that will evolve with Dolly’s hits, favorite artists, and commentary on songs and moments through her career.
Great music has become the backdrop to daily life. For Sonos customers, alongside a 40% year-over-year increase in listening hours globally, radio continues to represent 50% of all listening time on the platform. Complementary to the choice of 100 streaming services available on Sonos speakers, Sonos Radio HD builds on the success of Sonos Radio.
“This is a result of our unwavering commitment to great sound – thoughtful music and incredible sound,” says Patrick Spence, Sonos CEO. “Sonos Radio HD means more choice and better sound for customers. This shows the potential of the experiences we can bring from our platform of hardware and software.”
With Sonos Radio HD, all Sonos Radio original stations on both tiers stream in high-definition, lossless CD-quality audio (16-bit/44.1 kHz FLAC). Listening in high-definition audio delivers even more detail to the songs hand-selected for Sonos Radio, all programmed for listening at home on Sonos.
Staying true to radio’s roots, Sonos Radio HD serves up a refreshing, yet reliable mix of fan favorites, deep cuts, generational throwbacks and never-before-heard tracks and interviews in stations made by renowned artists, expert curators, and DJs.
“I had so much fun getting to share little stories and tidbits from the songs that have made up my life and career,” notes Parton. “My new station brings to life some of my favorite music and stories, similar to those that readers will explore in my first lyric book, Songteller, as well as my new Christmas album, A Holly Dolly Christmas. Sharing stories with fans is very special to me—and hopefully new listeners will enjoy them too!”
Exclusive Stations Available Starting Today on Sonos Radio HD
- Sonos radio HD artist-curated stations go more in-depth on the obsessions, inspirations, and nostalgic tracks plus interviews heard nowhere else. Sonos Radio HD will kick-off with Dolly Parton’s Songteller Radio, hosted and curated by Dolly. Hear more music and stories in Dolly’s first show on Sonos Radio, Songteller Special, available on the station and for listeners everywhere on Mixcloud. New Sonos Radio HD artist-curated stations will drop regularly, including five new stations in early 2021.
- Deeper exploration into genres and music scenes with the help of curators and expert DJs including Nashville Now and Americana Ramble by Nashville-based music critic and author Ann Powers and iconic jazz performances on Unforgettable or Distant Kingdom for global retro R&B and soul.
- Soundtracks for home debutas music has become the backdrop for cooking, working, and relaxing. Sonos Radio HD will highlight the physical and mental benefits of audio with original stations promoting mindfulness, productivity and relaxation including The Inner Now, Chill Beats and Mellow Morning.
- Perfectly tuned sleep sounds with six sleep stations for any preference – white noise, pink noise, brown noise, rain, rainforest and piano – mastered by Sonos’ sound experience team and artist soundboard and tuned specifically for Sonos speakers for the most natural, calming sounds for a better night sleep. Fall asleep to the steady sound of rain without loops or interruptions, and set an alarm for a peaceful start to the day with Mellow Morning.
In addition to more than 60,000 broadcast radio stations powered by long-time partners, Sonos Radio is also adding new original content coming to its current free tier just in time for the Christmas period.
- Ring in the holidays with two new holiday stations and a special radio show from Dolly Parton, Holly Dolly Christmas Special, following the release of her chart-topping holiday record. Dolly’s show will debut in November and December on Holidaze, one of two new holiday stations playing the best holiday hits and the other, Holiday Concerto, featuring instrumental renditions of holiday classics. Holly Dolly Christmas Special will also be available on Dolly’s Songteller Radio in HD and on the Sonos Mixcloud Archive for listeners everywhere.
- Take a deeper look into regional genres including British Beats and Bars, UK Session Sounds, French Connection, The Netherlands’ Radio à Gogo, German Zeitgeist and Hip-Hop Stammtisch to explore the music and cultural flavors of favorite genres hand-picked by local curators.
- Sonos’ signature ad-free station, Sonos Sound System, explores the artist’s musical inspiration on a weekly Radio Hour with upcoming collaborations from Beverly Glenn-Copeland, Erykah Badu, A$AP Ferg and Laurie Anderson. Listeners everywhere can tune in to past Radio Hours on the Sonos Sound System Archive at mixcloud.com/sonos.
Sonos Radio is available globally, pre-loaded in the Sonos app with original content streaming in 16 countries around the world, and beginning today, available in Denmark, Norway, Switzerland, Austria, and Belgium.