Monitor Audio Group unveils its new flagship loudspeaker, Hyphn – described as a peerless, definitive, uncompromising demonstration of the company’s current design, engineering and manufacturing capabilities, and its future ambitions.
Rob Barford, Chief Executive Officer, Monitor Audio Group, “The great benefit of being an independent business is the ability to control our own destiny and explore ideas and technical challenges with complete creative freedom. So, we asked ourselves: what would be possible if we took everything, we’ve learned over 50 years of designing, engineering and building loudspeakers and brought it all together? There was only one way to find out; and three years later, we’re delighted to present the answer. Hyphn is unlike anything we, or anyone else, has ever created: the most creatively ambitious, technically advanced, and powerful loudspeaker in the history of Monitor Audio Group. It’s a definitive demonstration of the capabilities we’ve developed over our first five decades – and the shape of things to come.”
The production version of the Concept 50 prototype released in 2022, Hyphn is the sum of the Monitor Audio team’s collective experience and expertise. With its radical design, technical innovations, power and performance, it delivers a dramatically enhanced listening experience, with a visually striking presence, says the company.
A Technical Leap
At the heart of Hyphn is the ‘M-Array’. This unique configuration, developed in-house by Monitor’s Audio engineers, comprises a single high-frequency transducer surrounded by six 2in midrange drivers. The result is said to be exceptional soundstage clarity, allowing the listener to precisely pin-point individual instruments and vocals.
The high-frequency transducer adopts the new third-generation Micro Pleated Diaphragm III (MPD III) to deliver a larger, clearer and more consistent sound. Developed in-house by Monitor Audio’s acoustic engineers for the Concept 50 prototype, the same technology also appears on the range-topping Platinum Series 3G floor-standing loudspeaker.
The six 2in midrange drivers feature Monitor Audio’s Rigid Diaphragm Technology III (RDT III) cones, introduced in 2022, for enhanced clarity.
The M-Array is located squarely between Hyphn’s twin pillars, each of which houses a pair of powerful 8in bass drivers, facing inwards, in a force-cancelling configuration resulting in almost no vibration force from the drivers, either within themselves or being passed into the cabinet. Large diameter underhung voice-coils reduce harmonic distortion for clean, tight, high-impact bass performance.
Power and Precision
Hyphn has been engineered to deliver enhanced bass control, response and dynamics, plus exceptional detail through the treble and upper midrange. Crossovers are specifically designed to ensure precise, controlled performance across the full frequency spectrum. It’s also the most powerful loudspeaker Monitor Audio has ever produced.
The Shape of Genius
Hyphn takes its name from the architectural term ‘hyphen’ – a link connecting two separate structures. Each loudspeaker consists of two pillars, with the ‘hyphen’ between them housing the M-Array.
The cabinet is constructed in thermoformed, precision-milled mineral and acrylic stone to create a totally rigid structure. With built-in formed, port tubes, strengthening ribs and bracing, with internal and external wall thickness of ½-in up to 1in for bracing around the force-cancelling bass drivers, the cabinet is almost vibration free. This minimises physical distortion and resonance, ensuring optimum sound clarity and accuracy from the drive units, says the maker.
Hyphn is presented in three luxury finishes – Pure Satin White, Matte Black, and Matte Heritage Green.
Summary of key features:
- New flagship loudspeaker is the most creatively ambitious, technically advanced and powerful ever created by Monitor Audio
- Hyphn is the technical evolution and production version of the highly praised Concept 50 prototype, produced to celebrate Monitor Audio’s 50th anniversary in 2022.
- The architectural term ‘hyphen’ – a connecting link between two larger structures was felt a suitable name given the radical design of the speakers.
- Incorporates unique ‘M-Array’ High and Mid-Frequency technology, with the latest Micro Pleated Transducer and six 2-inch Rigid Diaphragm Technology mid-drivers.
- Features two pairs of powerful 8-inch force-cancelling bass drivers within each speaker.
- A total of eleven drive units sit within each speaker
- Hyphn features a thermoformed mineral and acrylic stone, precision milled cabinet.
- Available in three luxury finish choices; Matte Black, Matte White and Matte Heritage Green
- Designed, engineered, and constructed entirely in-house in the UK.
Availability and Pricing
Hyphn is available now, worldwide. Prices are quoted as £70,000 / €82,500 / $92,500 per pair to the end user.