The winners of the Smart Building Awards 2018 have been announced, with the whole industry gathering at Sandown Park to celebrate the best new products, projects, and achievements from the last year.
While the Smart Building Awards 2018 covered a range of categories, there were a bunch of products that received the top honours. Listed below are all the products that were recognised on the evening.
Smart Building Awards 2018 – Product Categories
- Projector Screen of the Year was awarded to Stewart Filmscreen for its dual-roller Electriscreen.
- Optoma picked up Projector of the Year thanks to its UHZ65, a model offering both a laser light source and a 4K resolution.
- Bracket/Rack or Mounting Product of the Year went to Future Automation’s Universal Swivel Bracket and Wall Box (PS-WB)
- Control4 nabbed the Loudspeaker of the Year category, with its Triad Designer Series picking up top honours.
- Cable Solution of the Year went to PixelGen’s THX Max 4K Interconnect System, which is distributed by OneAV.
- It was HDAnywhere’s MHUB that managed to take home the Matrix/Signal Distribution Product of the Year.
- Multi-Room/Zone Music Solution of the Year was awarded to Meridian Audio’s 251 Powered Zone Controller.
- AGATH’s MirrorTouch, which is distributed by CAVD, walked away with Dedicated Touchscreen of the Year.
- Those who read CE Pro Europe know that we’re big fans of OLED, and the judges agree that the technology is number one, with Sony’s A1 OLED nabbing TV/Display of the Year (Conventional).
- Integrated TV/Display of the Year was a hotly contested category, but it was Aquavision’s Kitchen range that won over the judges.
The Best Projects
It wasn’t just products that received recognition at the Smart Building Awards 2018. There were also projects that received the nod. The following are seen as the best installations from the last year:
- Always a difficult category to win, Best Cinema Project went to iCubed Home Cinema Ltd for its Oakwood Manor Multiplex
- It’s not just residential projects that were eligible, with Handy AV receiving Best Commercial Integration Project for its handy work on the Cruise 1st
- Best Whole House Project was awarded to Henri for its Grand Prix House project.
- Multi-Dwelling Unit (MDU) Project of the Year was nabbed by Smartcomm Ltd, which performed the installation work on Chiltern Place, a luxury apartment block in Marylebone, London.
The Industry’s Best
Projects and products are only as good as the manufacturers, distributors, training, and sales people the industry has to offer. That’s why each year the Smart Building Awards recognises the very best from across the industry.
- Distributor of the Year for 2018 went to AWE Europe.
- Artcoustic Loudspeakers managed to take Manufacturer of the Year on the night.
- Training is always important for the industry, which is why Crestron is especially pleased to have won the Training Initiative of the Year with its Crestron Masters programme.
- Pulse Cinemas’ insanely likeable sales person, Simon Schino, managed to walk away with Sales Person of the Year.
There are so many people who have helped shape the industry, but the Special Recognition Award is reserved for those that have created something truly innovative. In 2018, it was easy to see who was the most deserving of this award, with the Smart Building Awards honouring a man who has been accelerating the industry forward for almost 40 years.
The Special Recognition Award 2018 went to Wilfried Van Baelen, who not only co-founded Galaxy Studios and Auro Technologies, but is also noted as the inventor of 3D audio technology. His Auro 3D technology has seen adoption in both home and commercial cinemas, and has changed the way users listen to music, movies, games and TV shows.